About Me

Lots of stuff drives me nuts! I think there are a lot of retarded people out there that don't know they're retarded. This blog is dedicated to those people.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Heckuva Climb...

Farmington Canyon - not much water in the lake?
Just more stupid wetlands to fight over.

My first memory of Farmington Canyon was when I was about 12 years old driving to a Father's & Sons outing. I remember thinking that it was quite a steep climb. The other thing I remember was that on the curves we were mere inches from falling off of the edge of the mountain and down hundreds of feet.
Next memory of Farmington Canyon was 1994...Senior Sluf day heading to the canyon river to the rope swing as well as a couple of other times that summer (or was it Sr. Sluff day 93' and we just took advantage?). Maybe some of you reading this remember those days. It was a pretty fun little 'damn' pool that you could swing down and drop into. If memory serves me correctly, Marci Wilson let go a little early (gravity) and broke her arm? Maybe that was a different story? I don't know...however I do know that Josh Ludwig fell out of a tree while attempting a dive and just missed hitting his head on a huge rock.
Then there was Matt Webb suffered a compound fracture of his leg while jumping into a pool further up the mountain.
So over the last couple of weeks I have returned to Farmington Canyon to make more memories. I had been driving to Mueller Park for months but I've got a short 8 minute bike ride to the canyon and it's all uphill from there. The first couple of miles are paved and steep (you can see the climb in the picture above). It actually flattens out once the dirt trail begins but it's quite the workout. After just a few minutes of pavement the legs are burning. I haven't been too far up the dirt road due to time constraints...meaning that I've got to ride home, switch shoes and run for a while. Maybe next time I'll drive to the dirt and go from there. I'd like to see how high I can get...or how tired I can get.

No comments: