About Me

Lots of stuff drives me nuts! I think there are a lot of retarded people out there that don't know they're retarded. This blog is dedicated to those people.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Starting to think I may be retarded....

I always knew that something was different...I mean all you have to do is either take a look at my siblings or read a few of my blogs. However I never thought I had received part of the retarded gene. Luckily I received only a small portion and it only relates to my biking skills. I mean Matt's wearing biking shorts for hell's sake!

So I'm still having a hard time staying on my bike. Not going downhill but up! Yeah that's right, I keep falling off my bike going up the hill and it all has to do with these damn clipless pedals. At times on the trail I find myself in a difficult situation, not enough momentum to carry me over some roots, rocks or whatever the case may be. I can never seem to get my feet out of the clips in time and end up tipping over. This morning I happened to fall right through a rock that slit my knee open. Funny thing was there really wasn't much pain, just blood. The problem is by the time I'm at the end of my uphill journey, I'm so freaked out about my shoes that I'm pressing all the way down the hill fearing for my life. It's like the 70 year old blue hair on the freeway. Their so cautious it's dangerous.

I think the problem is that I haven't fully recovered (mentally) from my past mountain bike accidents. Last year I took a switchback to tight and smashed my finger between a tree and the handlebar. Having the doctor insert a needle and Sew my nail bed back to my finger was a real treat, something I'll hold special for the rest of my life. Before that falling on my head and screwing my collarbone ruined one of my rides. And there is always the times that Eric remembers best when each switchback took me into another pine and each time spending a half hour in the shower scrubbing pine sap out of places I never knew I had! Each of these occurrences had now lead my to be completely mental. Maybe I need to really let it go, or maybe I need to find out how to lessen the tension on these stupid shoes!

On the bright side, took it all the way to Rudy's Flat again today. This time by way of the Mueller Park trail. I haven't done that since Jr. year (WX) with Billy Fowler as we rode our forty pound bikes up the trail for 3 hours, stopping along the way to munch some of Billy's famous Beef Jerky. Anyway, I think today gave me a new personal record to the top, and the fastest time of the year to 'The Rock'. I'm way ahead of where I was at this point in 2005. Things are looking good and if I can find my goggles, I'll start working on not drowning come August.

Keep checking your TV Guides, you may be able to catch me on an old "Life Goes On" rerun!

Late

1 comment:

Conservative Futurist said...

I guess my wife knows your wife, and through those channels your blog landed in my inbox. Let me just say, I (literally) feel your pain. Those freakin' clipless pedals are gonna be the end of me.

Try this, though... lean forward when you're going up steep inclines. Almost raise your butt in the air if it's really steep. Keeps your weight on that front wheel. By doing this, my shin scarring has been considerably reduced (although, not eliminated).

Then again, you may not want to take any of my advice since I just wrecked yesterday - in a MTB race of all places.

Anyway, good blog.