About Me

Lots of stuff drives me nuts! I think there are a lot of retarded people out there that don't know they're retarded. This blog is dedicated to those people.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

A good day...

Where to start? I guess Tri's usually started with the swim but I started much earlier than that. Beginning at 11:00pm the night before as for the second night I couldn't sleep. I wanted to sleep, I needed to sleep but it wouldn't come. So finally I guess I dozed off but 5:30 came rather quick. The morning we smoothly as I got up to Snowbasin, set up my run stuff and got to Pineview to get the bike ready. After that it was just 1.5 hours of waiting with the family.
-
Swim Time - After waiting 30 minutes for the professionals to get going on their swim it was time. As I had watched the professionals I told myself that next year I was going to sign up for the longer distance Tri (1 mile swim, 20 mile bike, 6 mile run). A few deep breaths and into the water. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the cold water, the adrenaline of the race, the guy behind you punching you in the feet, or the guy on the side of you elbowing your chest with every stroke. Whatever happens I find it impossible to pace myself and start slow and easy. The first couple of minutes start fast and finally I'm able to get into a pace. The other issue is that I took a slight detour. After that first minute or so I rose out of the water only to find myself beginning a circumference swim around the lake. Not only was I not heading towards the buoy I was swimming parallel to the beach. I wondered why I wasn't being kicked, punched elbowed any more. So I got back into the thick of it and started throwing some haymakers myself. After two right-turns we were heading into the beach. It was a good feeling to have my hands hit bottom and be able to stand up. I began the small run to the bike station while ripping off the wetsuit (yes, they were approved after the rainstorm brought the water temp below 70 degrees...the one good thing about the rain that day).
SWIM TIME - 19:30
-
After putting on the shirt, socks, shoes, headband, helmet, glasses and camelback I started peddling. I took the first mile very easy as I took a breather. The first mile is paved road until you reach the bike trail. I went into a low gear, peddled quickly to get the blood out of my shoulder and into my legs. As I started the ascent I felt not great, but good enough. The bike portion starts with a pretty steady climb for 2 miles, then crosses over onto a single track trail that has some steep climbs followed by some flat portions. Although I was getting passed by many people during the first 2 miles, I did plenty of passing myself which never happened last time. I wasn't fast or slow, just steady. About 6-7 miles into the climb we got a downhill break although it's not much of a break. Yes you take advantage of gravity, but the bumpy rocks, turns and tight grip on the handle bars aren't as enjoyable after having using those same arms to pull you through the water for a half mile an hour before. After 2 miles of pure hell on the arms, the legs were back at it taking me up the hill. At about 8 miles (of 12) I could hear the music, announcer, crowd at Snowbasin which sucked. It was a tease as you could taste the end of the bike but were still 4 miles away. The last four miles were tough. It has poured the night before and it began to rain creating a muddy trail which isn't so good for momentum. It got slow and slippery. The wooden bridges that crossed the river were slick and while coming around the corner my tires when out from under me and down I went. That 15 seconds off of the bike gave me a breather and I was fine the last four miles. The bike trail climbed nearly 12 miles and 3000 feet from Pineview to Snowbasin. As I came down to the transition there again was the family cheering. The only thing I heard distinctly was Ryan yelling "Pick it up!" BIKE TIME - 1:59:23
-
I felt good changing shoes and getting camelback off. Only 4 miles to go. I was almost there. I started through the parking lot...I could taste it...almost there. Then I saw it...the mountain. Unbelievable! This year they had decided not so send us up the switchback trail, but simply straight up the mountain. After a minute or so my calves were on fire and by back was killing me. I made my way up, and up, and up some more. I got a small break in the middle as the trail flattened out and they it was more climbing. After two miles I was at the top and it was all downhill. I was able to run the entire last two miles and make it to the bottom.
Free at last, free at last...thank God almighty I'm free at last. Done. And there again were the people cheering, Allie cheering and Averi crying her eyes out. I thought that she was overjoyed but soon found out she really just wanted me to take her to go poop! Allie had told her to hold it as I was going to finish at any minute.
RUN TIME - 41:45
-
TOTAL TIME - 3:00:38
-
I know that I said anything over 3:00 would be a disappointment but I'm calling it 3:00 as it never got to 3:01. I thought that 3:00 would be a good time (30 minutes faster than 2005) and 2:48:00 would be the ultimate goal. Overall the day went well. About half way through the bike I wondered why the hell I ever do these things and promised this was the last time (remember my idea to sign up for the longer distance...forget it!). Today I can't wait until next year to try to shave a little more time of of the 3:00 mark. A few people have asked which was harder a marathon or this? While not being an expert on either one by any means I just say that they are different. A marathon is just long and painful. Your muscles never really ache or burn but just hurt. The Tri (Xterra at least) gets to the muscles and they burn. There are easier times and there are times where you don't think your muscels will go anymore. Maybe that sounds like the same thing but it's just different, trust me. I prefer the Tri as today, while a little sore, I can walk, bend, descend stairs and yesterday even mowed the lawn. It's not as much pounding as 26.2 miles. (Now those Ironman people are just nuts!)

I'm looking for other to join me next year so start preparing. This year I'm really going to make an effort to stay in shape through the winter so I don't have to start from scratch come March. If I can take those 12 minutes off of my time next year that will keep me going to 2009.

As I mentioned before I'm not sure if anyone actually reads this blog anymore. I'm not sure if it'll continue as without the Tri my life isn't much to talk about. Check back for pictures as I'll have them up in a day or so.

2 comments:

whit said...

B- congratulations on finishing. That is a great time, although I don't know why you willingly do this. I mean, I could see if Matt was doing it too and you just do it to make fun of him the whole way, or beat him, but just to do it? You are nuts. Dave wants to know when the whiffle ball tourney is.

Lacey said...

Where are the pictures?