About Me

Lots of stuff drives me nuts! I think there are a lot of retarded people out there that don't know they're retarded. This blog is dedicated to those people.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Maybe it's the gills?

I jumped into the pool this morning for the first time since last July. It felt great. The new Bountiful Rec complex is nice although it now costs me $5 for 30 minutes in the pool. It may be worth it though because now as I swim I don't get sidetracked. At the old pool mind would wonder to the bottom of the pool where I tried to figure what was growing down there. Every so often you'd pass a old piece of Big League Chew and wonder if it was a fish. Because of these distractions sometimes you'd forget to breath, making your workout that much more difficult.

This morning was much easier with one exception. They have the Viewmont High swimming records posted on the wall. I was making pretty good time. I made it 100 yards in just over 2:00 minutes. I glanced at the record only to see some 17 year old girl had done it twice as fast as me. Oh yeah, wait until I get some more reps in the pool!

I think of the 3 phases of the Tri swimming is the best part. I am convinced that people that say swimming is hard just don't know how to swim properly. I had thought swimming sucked until I starting reading some books on proper technique. I found that kicking doesn't propel you like you think so your wasting your time by kicking up a storm. Also simply moving your arms like a windmill doesn't work either. Slow and steady keeps your wind. Meanwhile 100 mph gets you to the other side quicker but your sucking wind (and water) half way there. I jumped in this morning and went 450 yards. The Tri is 750 so I'm pretty much there. I'll need to use this however to build my endurance as running hasn't gone to well.

I do have a Dr. appointment on Friday to discuss the knee issue. I'm hoping it's only still bruised and it's a matter of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice article...while I think the Tri is a worthy goal, an event I have never thought about doing since it involves running, the most important aspect is that you are doing something to stay healthy. Good luck with the doctor's evaluation of the knee. he will probably suggest you go to the team concept with someone else running...perhaps a larger or swifter brother.Keep at it...